It is one thing to figure out your skin type and another to know the right products to use. With the combination skin, the routine can get confusing. The combination skin feels like having a feel of two skin types. It is not a win-win situation and can be troublesome for most people. The problem is that most people have no idea how to take care of their double or combination skin properly. If you have combination skin and want to treat it, this article is for you. First, we have to understand what combination skin is, the causes, and conclude with the proper way to take care of it.
What is combination skin?
If you have oily and dry skin, then you have combination skin. In the beginning, a combination of skin feels like a good balance you can handle until it becomes a little too much. The combination skin rejects some products and doesn’t absorb others because the percentages of the skin types are uneven. There are no significant causes of combination skin as it is primarily genetic. The environment or your lifestyle can also cause it. When you stress or go through hormonal change, the skin produces more oil, which changes the order of your skin type. These are signs to know you have combination skin.
1. Some parts of your face are oilier than the others after washing your face. You can run a patch test by using a gentle cleanser to wash your face. Wait for twenty minutes and check for results. If your T-zone has more shine than the other parts, you have combination skin.
2. Your moisturizer looks good on your cheeks but not the T-zone.
3. There are visible and larger pores on your nose than other parts of your face.
4. You have breakouts at the same time you experience dry patches on your skin.
5. You have flaky skin around your T-zone, and the weather affects your skin.
If you notice any of these signs, it is best to note that you have combination skin.
The following tips will help you treat and restore your skin.
· Ditch the harsh soaps: When you use the wrong soap, it will strip your skin of its natural oils. Some soaps we use contain harsh and harmful chemicals that are bad for our skin. It is best to use a natural soap as it contains rejuvenating ingredients. If you have combination skin, try an oil-based cleanser or a soap made with natural ingredients.
· Use light-weight moisturizers: If you have combination skin, your best bet is on products that absorb quickly. A lightweight moisturizer will help to hydrate the surface of the skin. By using a lightweight moisturizer, you minimize the pores on your skin. A moisturizer will keep the flakes away from the dry part of your skin. It will also help to keep your skin’s oil production in check. The best moisturizer for someone with combination skin is a lightweight moisturizer.
· Treat the skin separately: A combination skin or a double skin means you have dry and oily skin. The best way to treat this is by doing it separately. Use a lightweight moisturizer on your T-zone and body butter or rich moisturizer on other parts.
· Gently exfoliate: Exfoliation helps to get rid of dead skin cells. It improves the texture of combination-skin. It is best to use oat powder for exfoliation because it is not drying. Using a harsh or over-drying product to exfoliate your combination-skin will strip the natural oil and worsen the skin. Exfoliation is essential when you have combination skin. It is best to exfoliate your skin once a week for better results.
· Add a hydrating toner to your routine: After using a gentle exfoliator for your combination-skin, it is best to use a toner. It keeps your skin hydrated and reduces irritation. Put a little toner in your hand and gently pat it on your face and neck. It will allow other skincare products in your routine to absorb correctly. Also, remember that the toner nourishes your skin and balances it.
· Get a facial mask: When you have combination-skin, it is best to treat with a face mask at least once a week. The face mask helps to hydrate your skin while deeply exfoliating and cleansing it. A facial or sheet mask also ensures to keep your skin healthy.
The best skincare treatment for combination skin is consistency. You need to be patient with your journey. Eat healthily, use the right products, and stay hydrated. Give yourself time to rest and create room for a night of beauty sleep.
How do you take care of your combination skin? Share with us today!