Our skin is affected by a lot of factors, whether it is the food we eat, the weather, the environment, the products we use, how we use them or even how long we use them, having flawlessly beautiful, radiant skin takes a little more than whipping up something in your kitchen. Let’s checkout below 5 Things That Can Affect your Natural Skincare Routine.
1. Excessive Sun Exposure
We can’t do without the sun, whether we are in it, around it, or running away from it, the sun is a major part of our daily routine. However, as beneficial the sun is, it is also detrimental to the skin as ultraviolent rays emitted can cause copious damages to the skin.
Some effects of the sun’s exposure are skin cancer, wrinkles, age spots, dark spots, pigmentation, freckles, fine lines, and even dryness of the skin.
How to manage excessive UV rays
- To protect your skin from the damaging effect of the sun’s UV, cover-up. While this seems like a long shot, it is a very simple thing to do, wear clothes with long sleeves or carry an umbrella if you will be under the sun for longer than normal.
- If you cannot wear a long sleeve when colors that don’t absorb the excessive heat of the sun and storing it in your skin.
- Avoid the sun from 10 am to 3 pm when it is unusually hot.
- Appear sunscreen to the skin or use product with SPF 40 or at least SPF15 in it.
- Remember than tanning beds are equally as dangerously harmful to the skin, so avoid going under the bed for more times than normal for too long.
Staying hydrated is not just about ensuring your skin glow on the outside, it is about ensuring your body’s system is functioning well to deliver the right skin results you need or is aiming for. While hydration signifies liquid, not all liquids are good for the skin. As tempting as a cup of freshly brewed coffee is in the morning, a large glass of water with a slice of lemon will do more good to your skin. Also drinking alcohol, carbonated beverages, or carton fruit juices aren’t the best way to go too.
Liquids are good for the skin for a couple of reasons; it prevents excessive dryness, cracks, wrinkles, fine lines, tiredness look, and many more. While applying makeup and other skincare product will cover up imperfection, the following with the help.
What to do
- Give your diet an overhaul – If you like French fries, burgers, and takeouts, try wholesome, organic, and naturally cooked meals with fewer additives and GMOs in your meals or better cook your own food
- Introduce more fruits and vegetables in your diet, the greener, the better.
- Add more supplements to your daily regime.
- Drink more water up to 8 glasses or more if you are up and about in hot areas and start your day with a cup of green tea.
- Apply moisturizers with humectants or emollients that will keep your skin hydrated to prevent cracking chapping or scaling.
3. Over doing your regular skincare routine
You know the saying, too much of everything is bad; that is true for your skin too. In the bid to get flawless skin in the shortest time, we indulge in bad skincare routine like over-exfoliating. Exfoliating is great, as it removes dead upper skin and dirt to reveal fresher, softer, younger, and even skin tone.
However, over-exfoliating can damage your skin, enlarge your pores, making your skin produce more oil to combat over-exfoliating that strips the skin dry and cause uneven tone. It could also mean an increase in breakouts, dry patches, and clogged pores.
What to do
- Exfoliate with the right products and at least 3 times a week, don’t scrub down your face like a rug but be gentle and patient.
- Avoid using chemically laden exfoliates that literary strip the nutrients off your face.
- Take warm showers instead of a hot shower for a shorter period than longer.
- Get used to the habit of splashing cold water on your face in the mornings to awaken the cells to a new day.
- If you are shaving, shave in the direction of the hair growth and not against it.
- Pat-dry your face instead of rubbing off the water after washing, exfoliating, or bathing.
- Take your hands off your face.
4. Using too many products wrongly
Women are fun of doing this; you have a product for virtually every section of your face. While you might want to combat various skin problems, there is a simple solution to this – know your skin type.
When you know your skin type, you limit the number of stuff you apply on your skin. Gone are the days when we only cleaned, exfoliate, and moisturized, now the skincare industry is offering a solution for physical and imaginary problems leaving us with more problems than we started with?
Some problems associated with using too many products are skin redness, flaky skin, pimples, blackhead, acne, skin irritation, and over-sensitivity of the skin.
How to avoid this
- Know your skin type before you go shopping for a product.
- Access if the issues with your skin are caused by you like what you eat, your sleep pattern or lifestyle.
- Try simpler, natural and organic products with fewer chemicals in them.
- Apply products in the right other.
5. Over Stressed, Under Sleep
It is not sleeping for 6 to 8 hours that matters, it is ensuring that you are well-rested, in your sleep. Besides dehydration, using the wrong skincare products, UV rays, and over-exfoliating, stress, and inadequate sleep are two problems that affect even a perfect skincare routine.
Some effects of overstress and under sleep are eye bags, dark circles, bulgy and tired eyes, wrinkles, fine lines, dizziness, headaches, dry mouth, darker urine, and lack of concentration.
What to do
- Try using a silk pillowcase, it is gentle on your skin, but it also helps you to fall asleep.
- Eat light, drink less, and ease your way into sleep mode 30 to 45 minutes before bedtime.
- Keep all technology on snooze to prevent beeps, vibrations, and ringtones cutting through your sleep.
- Scale down your daily to-do list to only the essentials.
A lot of factors can affect your perfect skincare routine, but simple tricks like staying hydrated, proper sleep, and changes to your diet make all the difference. Finally, knowing your skin type will enable you to effect the necessary changes for flawless skin.