Have you ever noticed a blotchy or uneven skin tone? It happens to different people at certain times in life. Sometimes, blotchy skin can disappear without any form of treatment. It does not mean you should ignore changes on the skin. For some people, their skin has a red, blue or purple patch when the skin is blotchy. The first step to getting rid or treating a blotchy skin is identifying the cause. In today’s article, we will explain what blotchy skin is, why you suffer from it and treatments.
What is blotchy skin?
Blotchy skin is mostly attributed to people with sensitive skin. It is mainly a result of skin irritation or the use of harsh products on the skin. Often, the food we consume can cause redness or blotchy skin. If the skin is blotchy, it means your skin is covered in temporary marks that are mostly irregular in shape. Blotchy skin can be a symptom for certain skin conditions. People with eczema, rosacea and other skin conditions will notice how blotchy their skin becomes over time. It is advisable to see a dermatologist if your blotchy skin doesn’t go away after trying the treatments we will provide below.
Causes of blotchy skin
The first step to treating a skin condition is identifying the cause. Here are reasons for blotchy skin.
1. Exfoliate Wisely: Avoid Overdoing It to Prevent Blotchy Skin
Every skin care expert will advise you to exfoliate your skin twice a week. It is best to know your skin type before taking exfoliation advice. To avoid blotchy skin, use skincare products that are not harsh on the skin. Exfoliation is a necessary part of every skincare routine. However, it is best not to over exfoliate. When we over exfoliate the skin, we damage the skin barrier and skin cells. It leaves the skin red and blotchy.
2. Understanding Weather Effects: Temporary Blotchy Skin and Its Causes
The weather can be responsible for a blotchy skin, this is why most times, a change in the skin tone should not be of so much worry to you. When we are exposed to cold, the blood vessels are minimal or narrow. It changes the appearance of the skin and causes redness because of heat loss. The skin can also get itchy due to exposure to cold. It can also make the skin appear pale or blue. While this is temporary, it can cause pain too.
3. Beyond Products: Understanding the Impact of Lifestyle on Blotchy Skin
Have you ever had times when you are consistent with your skin care products and still have blotchy skin? It is because your body is reacting to your lifestyle. Stress and emotions have an effect on the skin. When we are under pressure or stress, the body increases the production of cortisol. The cortisol hormone is responsible for causing skin inflammation. It can result in an acne break out or eczema. Our lifestyle is a major cause of blotchy skin. It is not a reason to change your skincare products or routine.
4.Protect Your Skin: Understanding and Preventing Sun-Induced Blotchy Skin
If you are constantly under the sun, you will notice a change in the appearance of the skin. The sun causes damage to the skin. This is because of the presence of the invisible UVA and UVB rays in the sun. While we need the sun for its natural benefit which includes vitamin D, it also can lead to redness or blotchy skin. Did you know that constant exposure of the skin to the sun can lead to cancer? Whether you have sensitive or normal skin, the excessive exposure to the sun can cause more harm than good to you.
5.Post-Workout Blotchy Skin: Causes and Soothing Solutions
No, this does not mean you should stop exercising. You need to move your body daily for various health and skin benefits. However, exercising can be a trigger for blotchy skin. It is due to what happens internally when we exercise. While exercising, our body temperature rises and blood is being pumped to vital organs in the body. This can cause redness on the skin.
6.Excessive consumption of alcohol
The consumption of alcohol can cause our skin to become blotched. There are certain chemicals like sulfites that are used in preserving alcohol, especially wine. It makes the blood vessels on our face open up more than usual. When this happens, you will notice a red patch on the skin or even an acne breakout.
Treatment of blotchy skin
Now that you understand the causes of blotchy skin, here are natural ways to treat them. Remember, if these treatments don’t work for you, it is advisable to visit a dermatologist. Avoid the use of over-the-counter medications as these can cause more damage to the skin.
– Ensure you use a cleanser first. Use a cleanser also before you go to bed. Remember to use a moisturizer after cleansing the skin as this will help you see results faster.
– Keep your skin hydrated at all times. By moisturizing and hydrating the skin, you reduce the excessive production of sebum. You can also maintain skin hydration by drinking an adequate amount of water in a day. Moisturizing the skin is for every skin type, even for those who have oily skin!P
– Use a mild and gentle exfoliator for your skin. This way, you are sure your skin will be clear of redness. It is best to use a natural product for exfoliation as it does not have any harsh chemicals. Rub the skin softly during exfoliation and always remember to moisturize.
– Avoid skin care products with fragrance. This can cause irritation to the skin. Most skin conditions like eczema, rosacea and hives can be triggered by the presence of fragrance in a product.
– Always wear sunscreen. Ensure you reapply your sunscreen. Wear sunscreen even when you’re indoors. This is because our windows and other sources of natural light can expose us to the damages of the sun rays.
Be patient with your treatment. Keep your skin care routine at a few steps. Remember that results happen with consistency. Blotchy skin is temporary but if inflammation or redness gets worse, it is best to visit a skin care expert.
Share this with someone today.